Rule 2 Say “Yes” Easily and Mean It
Early in your study you should expose yourself to different things. You need to take part in many activities. When someone talks about a good project, say “let’s do it.” If someone asks for help with a project, say “yes.” Then deliver. Do more than is expected.
Rule 3 Work with Others and Share Easily
You can learn a lot from others. They help you push you and they teach you new things. So collaborate. Form teams. Network. Give more than you ask to receive.
Rule 4 Keep Your Word
This is the most important rule of all. This one rule separates the successful from the unsuccessful student more than any other, but its value cannot be known until you do it. Set up a program, make it life or death. Do it. Of course, no one always does it. OK, so when you slip, go back and do it 100%. Then when you slip, go back and do it 100%. I violate this one nearly every day. Yet I continue to fight like a tiger to keep it.
Rule 5 Realize Your Own Power and Behave Accordingly
Let me tell you something incredible: you can make a huge difference in your discipline. We are talking about fields that are young and accessible, in which even one person can make a big difference. The successful student will realize their own power, and will push on to make it manifest.
Rule 6 Follow Your Talent
Successful students are confident. I don’t mean they necessarily feel confident. I mean that they follow their talent. They are true to themselves. Be true to yourself. Do not, however, violate what seems important to you. You will pay very dearly for the violation because it will take away your compass for scientific entertainment. You can get lost without a compass.
Enumerate the rules given by paraphrasing them
Example: Rule 1. A student should constantly express his ideas verbally no matter whether he is sure or not about the things he has in mind as any idea can give great opportunities for discussion. The articulation of ideas helps the student to express himself and to enrich his way of thinking by the opinions of others.
Using the material of the lesson express your opinion on one of the following themes
1. Critical factors of success in university.
2. The Rules everybody should follow while studying at the university.
3. The Rules every professor should follow while teaching at the university.
Smile with us
Farther: You know, son when Lincoln was your age he was a very good pupil. In fact he was the best pupil in class.
Tom: Yes, Dad, I know that. But when he was your age he was President of the United States.
Lesson 2. Russian System of Higher Education
Discuss the following question and give all the possible answers to it
What makes many people think that Russian system
of Higher education is the best one?
Listen and pronounce the active vocabulary of the lesson after the teacher
1. a competitive system – конкурентоспособная система
2. a multilevel system – многоуровневая система
3. an academic degree – ученая степень
4. an application – заявление (о приеме в вуз)
5. branches of sciences – области наук
6. a competition – конкурс
7. a curricular – программа (обучения)
8. an educational system – система образования
9. entrance exams – вступительные экзамены
10. final state examinations – государственные экзамены (выпускные)
11. further education – дальнейшее образование
12. a graduation paper – дипломная работа
13. higher education – высшее образование
14. humanities – гуманитарные науки
15. natural sciences – естественные науки
16. part-time students – студенты–вечерники
17. postgraduate education – обучение в аспирантуре
18. qualifying degree – квалификационная степень
19. scientific research – научное исследование
20. secondary education – среднее образование
21. to be admitted to – быть допущенным к
22. to give the possibility – представлять возможность
23. to grant a degree – выдавать диплом
24. to pass – сдавать
25. to provide access to – обеспечить доступ к
26. to provide mobility – обеспечивать мобильность
27. vocational education – профессиональное образование
Give the Russian equivalents to the English phrases
1. higher education
2. scientific research
3. entrance exams
4. graduation paper
5. academic degree
8. an application
10. secondary education
Here is the structure of Russian educational system. Will you give the English equivalents to the stages mentioned?
Example:Система образования – System of education
1. Среднее образование
2. Профессиональное образование
3. Высшее профессиональное образование
5. Дальнейшее образование.
Using your background knowledge about the system of higher education in Russia agree or disagree with the following statements. You may use the phrases given to prove your point of view: to be a competitive system, to provide high academic standards, to pay the fee, good results in the Unified State Exams, highly–qualified specialists.
1. Russian educational system is the best in the world.
2. One of the main advantages of Russian educational system is that it is free.
3. A typical Russian university has all the necessary facilities for studying.
4. Any school leaver can become a student of a university.
Try to develop the idea given. Agree or disagree. Give your arguments
“Education is the most powerful weapon, which you can use to change the world.”
Read the text and express in your own words the main idea of the text
Higher Education in Russia
Russia’s higher educational system started with the foundation of the State Moscow University founded in the middle of the 18th century. The getting of higher education was and still is very prestigious.
Students with secondary education can be admitted to higher educational institutions. In previous years school leavers had to take both secondary schools leaving examinations and higher education entrance tests. In 2004 a choice is given to the school leavers after the Unified State Exam was introduced. Many but not all faculties of the universities admit applicants on the basis of the results of the three USE chosen by the applicants. On average, competition to enter state university now is 187 applications for 100 places.
One of the great attractions of education in Russia is the cost. Degree study tuition is from $2000 to $8000 per year, with other costs (room, books, etc.) ranging from $1500 to $5000 per year, depending on location and spending habits.
The types of the educational institutions in the Russian Federation are:
• University: a higher educational institution with activities aimed at developing education, science, and culture by performing fundamental scientific research and training at all the levels of higher, postgraduate, and further education within a wide range of Natural Sciences, Humanities, and other branches of sciences, technology, and culture.
• Academy: a higher educational institution with activities aimed at developing education, science, and culture mainly in one specific area of science, technology, and culture.
• Institute: an independent higher educational institution, which applies vocational education curricula in specific areas of science, technology, and culture.
Russian higher educational institutions can grant the following types of degrees and diplomas:
Intermediate Diploma; Bachelor’s degree; Diploma of Specialist; Master’s degree.
The function of the degree of Intermediate Higher Education granted after no less than two years of training is to certify that a student has successfully completed the first two years of the fundamental higher education, which is considered to be a basis of the chosen field of training. Besides, this degree provides mobility between various higher educational institutions.
The Bachelor’s degree is awarded after at least four years of training. It covers almost all fields of knowledge, except medical science. Final state certification procedure includes the presentation of the graduation paper.
Degree of a Specialist is awarded after 5–6 years of studies. The degree of a Specialist has a double function. It provides access to occupational activities and also gives the possibility to enter postgraduate courses (doctoral programs). Final state certification includes presentation of the graduation paper. Besides, in the majority of cases students have to pass final state examinations.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-16; Просмотров: 113;