Read the dialogues and underline the phrases used for congratulating and consoling. What is the situation in each dialogue?
1. A: What’s the matter, Tom? You look a bit upset.
2. A: Georgia? Are you free after class?
B: Yes, lam. Why?
A: Well, I got my driving license yesterday, and I thought we could go out for a bite to eat.
B: Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!
Use the useful language in the box to act out similar dialogues for the situations
1. A friend has passed her exams.
2.Your brother has crashed his car.
3. Your sister got accepted to study medicine abroad
4. A friend has lost his job.
5. Your classmate entered the university.
6. Your girl friend got the leading role in a film.
7. Your mother has won the lottery!
8. Your farther has broken his leg.
9. A friend has failed his exam in maths twice.
Put the verbs in brackets into the appropriate Passive tense form
1. Students (to be required) to complete 12 years of secondary education before entering the university.
2. The oldest university in Russia, Moscow State University (to be founded) in 1755.
3. All the exams (to be taken) in July and January.
4. The course of study (to be completed) if a student gets a certain number of credits for it.
5. The tuition for study (to be paid) once a year in Russian universities.
6. The thesis (to be written) already.
7. Do you know how many students (to be admitted) to the South Ural State University last year?
8. An Associate degree (to be given) by community colleges.
9. The most successful students (to be given) grants by the university or local authorities.
10. The essay on history (to be written) yet?
Transfer the sentences from Active into Passive
Example:I finished school 8 years ago. The school was finished 8 years ago.
1. I advanced my career after getting the Master’s degree.
2. My sister teaches students at the university.
3. I have already done my homework.
4. Scientists proved this theorem 20 years ago.
5. When will you defend your graduation project?
6. We carried out many experiments in the laboratory.
7. I took all the necessary textbooks in the library.
8. We will perform this work on the computer next week.
9. I write letters to my pen-friend every week.
Translate the sentences from Russian into English using the active vocabulary of the lesson
1. Высшее образование в Великобритании платное.
2. Абитуриентов принимают в университеты по результатам экзаменов и
3. Оксфорд был основан в 12 веке нашей эры.
4. Открытый университет Великобритании предлагает курсы повышения
5. Без сомнения, методы обучения имеют большое значение в образовательном процессе.
6. Я никогда не был в Англии.
7. Игорь уже окончил курсы в летней школе.
8. Ольга получила степень бакалавра и учится сейчас в школе Экономики на
получение степени магистра.
9. Когда ты сдал последний экзамен? – 25 января.
10. Это очень интересная книга. Почитай ее. – Я уже прочел ее. Она мне не
Open the brackets using one of the Perfect Tenses or the Past Simple Tense
1. Last year I (to finish) secondary school and (to enter) the South Ural State University.
2. (to see) our new lecturer? – Yes, I have.
3. When (to pass) your entrance exams? – This July and today is the 1st of August.
4. How many times you (to give) lectures this week?
5. I (to earn) my General Certificate of Secondary Education by the moment I applied to the university.
6. My brother (to get) a Bachelor’s Degree by 2005.
7. You (to prepare) for laboratory classes yet?
8. You ever (to be) to the United Kingdom?
9. You (to choose) your major yet?
10. – I (to loose) my textbook. – When you (to see) it last?
Express your opinion (agreement, disagreement) in written form about the following statements. Try to prove your point of view by giving arguments
Statement: To be a highly qualified specialist you should study all your life.
I agree completely with the statement. I think that knowledge got at the university quickly become obsolete and you should update your knowledge to be in the know of the latest achievements in science and technology.
1. It’s no use working hard if you have no inborn abilities.
2. It’s more prestigious nowadays to get higher education abroad.
3. Higher education shouldn’t be free.
4. Absent-minded people can’t be successful in research.
5. Tutorials and individual work with a tutor is more useful than practical classes in fixed groups.
Smile with us
William Lyon Phelps, on a pre-Christmas examination paper, found written, “God only knows the answer to this question. Merry Christmas.”
He returned the paper with the notation, “God gets an A; you get an F. Happy New Year.”
Lesson 4. Higher Education in the USA
Task 1. Brainstorming activity
Discuss the following question and give all the possible answers to it
What are the advantages and disadvantages of democracy in universities?
Is it good for a student or professor to be free in his choice of what subjects to study and what themes to teach?
Listen and pronounce the active vocabulary of the lesson after the teacher
1. prior to – раньше, прежде
2. an undergraduate school – факультет с базовым циклом обучения
3. graduate school – факультет со специализированным курсом
4. an Associate degree – начальное высшее образование
5. community college – местный колледж
6. junior college – колледж начального высшего образования
7. to be operated by – управляться
8. public funds – государственные средства
9. to transfer to – переводиться в
10. to lower the cost – понизить стоимость
11. full-time coursework – дневной курс обучения
12. to select a major – выбрать специализацию
13. to graduate with a degree in major – закончить курс обучения в
университете с получением диплома
(бакалавра или магистра)
14. to complete a course – пройти курс обучения
15. related fields – смежные области
16. to major in maths – специализироваться в математике
17. in order to – для того, чтобы
18. in addition to – в добавок
19. to be insufficient – быть недостаточным
20. to advance one’s career – продвигаться по карьерной лестнице
21. to depend on – зависеть от
22. educational background – полученное образование
23. thesis – диссертация
24. research paper – научная работа
25. a requirement – требование
26. completion – завершение
27. dedication – увлеченность работой
Using your background knowledge about the system of higher education in the USA agree or disagree with the following statements
1. The system of Higher Education in the USA does not differ from the Russian one.
2. Higher education in the USA is free.
3. American colleges are not certified to give universities degrees (for example a Bachelor’s degree).
4. All universities in the USA are private.
Fill in the gaps with the Modal verbs: can, can’t, could, couldn't
1. I have been chosen to represent our company in Spain because I am the only person in our firm who _______ speak Spanish.
2. I _______ do my homework last night because I was too tired.
3. Do you know how to cook? – Yes, I ______ cook very well.
4. He _____ watch TV last night because his TVset was broken.
5. Mozart _______ play the piano and compose music at the age of three.
6. Elephants ______ live until they are seventy.
7. We ________ go swimming yesterday because the water was cold.
8. This diamond ring is too expensive for me. I ________ buy it.
9. Einstein ______ speak 8 foreign languages.
10. The coffee is too hot I _______ drink it.
Look at the phrases given and define what abilities they denote: physical or mental? Put the verbs into two columns
To swim, to speak a foreign language, to run fast, to jump, to play football, to think, to listen to music, to dream, to read, to smell the flower, to feel the fabric, to whisper, to analyze, to argue, to persuade, to write poems.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-16; Просмотров: 138;