Practice the pronunciation of the following words and word-combinations.
St Paul’s Cathedral – собор св. Павла (главный собор англиканской церкви)
Sir Christopher Wren – Кристофер Рен
The Tower of London – Лондонский Тауэр
Julius Caesar – Юлий Цезарь
William the Conqueror – Вильгельм Завоеватель, Вильгельм 1 (первый король из норманнов в Англии)
Westminster Abbey – Вестминстерское аббатство
Chaucer – Чосер
Westminster Palace (the House of Parliament) – Вестминстерский дворец (здание английского парламента)
Buckingham Palace – Букингемский дворец (главная королевская резиденция в Лондоне)
Trafalgar Square – Трафальгарская площадь
State a part of speech of the following words.
Political, population, interesting, traditionally, business, famous, historic, association, lovely, wealthy.
Give 3 forms of the following verbs.
To be, to stand, to know, to crown, to bury, to divide, to come, to live, to build, to found.
Read and translate the text A.
London is the capital of Great Britain, its political, economic and commercial centre. It is one of the largest cities in the world and the largest city in Europe. Its population is about 8 million.
London is one of the oldest and most interesting cities in the world.
Traditionally it is divided into several parts: the City, Westminster, the West End and the East End. They are very different from each other and seem to belong to different towns and epochs.
The heart of London is the City, its financial and business centre. Numerous banks, offices and firms are situated there, including the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange and the Old Bailey. Few people live here, but over a million people come to the City to work. There are some famous ancient buildings within the City. Perhaps the most striking of them is St Paul’s Cathedral, the greatest of English churches. It was built in the 17th century by Sir Christopher Wren. The Tower of London was founded by Julius Caesar and in 1066 rebuilt by William the Conqueror. It was used as a fortress, a royal palace and a prison. Now it is a museum.
Westminster is the historic, the government part of London.
Westminster Abbey has more historic associations than any other building in Britain. Nearly all English kings and queens have been crowned here. Many outstanding statesmen, scientists, writers, poets and painters are buried here: Newton, Darwin, Chaucer, Dickens, Tennyson, Kipling, etc.
Across the road from Westminster Abbey is Westminster Palace, or the House of Parliament, the seat of the British Parliament. The Clock Tower of the House of Parliament is famous for its big hour bell, known as “Big Ben”.
Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen.
The West End is the richest and most beautiful part of London. It is the symbol of wealth and luxury. The best hotels, shops, restaurants, clubs, and theatres are situated there. There are splendid houses and lovely gardens belonging to wealthy people.
Trafalgar Square is the geographical centre of London. It was named in memory of Admiral Nelson’s victory in the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The tall Nelson’s Column stands in the middle of the square.
On the north side of Trafalgar Square is the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery. Not far away is the British Museum – the biggest museum in London. It contains a priceless collection of ancient manuscripts, coins, sculptures, etc, and is famous for its library.
The East End is the poorest district of London. There are a lot of factories, workshops and docks here. The streets are narrow, the buildings are unimpressive. The East End is densely populated by working class families.
Match English and Russian equivalents.
Give Russian equivalents to the following English ones.
The City; the West End; a church; to rebuild; was used as a fortress; a royal palace; governmental; the seat of British Parliament; is famous; in the memory of.
Use English equivalents instead of Russian ones.
1) London is the capital of Great Britain, its (политический, экономический, торговый) centre.
2) (Сердце Лондона) is the City.
3) The most striking building is St. Paul’s Cathedral (величайшая английская церковь).
4) Many outstanding people (захоронены здесь).
5) The Clock Tower of the Houses of Parliament (знаменита своим большим колоколам).
6) It is the symbol of (богатства и роскоши).
7) There are (великолепные дома и красивы парки).
8) The tall Nelson Column (стоит в центре площади).
9) It contains (бесценные коллекции) of ancient manuscripts.
10) The East End is (беднейшая часть)
Answer the questions.
1) What centre of Great Britain is London?
1) What is the population of London?
2) What are the parts of London?
3) What can you say about the City?
4) Who founded the Tower of London?
5) What is the historic, the governmental part of London?
6) What is Big Ben?
7) What do you know about Trafalgar Square?
8) Where do the working people of London live?
9) What are the most famous London museums and art galleries?
Choose the right variant.
1) London is the capital of:
a) Great Britain;
2) London is divided into several parts:
a) the City, the East End and the West End;
b) the City, the West End, the East End and the port;
c) the City, Westminster, the West End and the East End.
3) The heart of London is the City, its … centre:
a) political and financial;
b) economic and business;
c) financial and business.
4) ….. are situated in the City:
a) numerous banks and firms;
b) hotels and restaurants;
c) factories and clocks.
5) The most striking building is:
a) Buckingham Palace;
b) St. Paul’s Cathedral;
c) Westminster Abbey.
6) Many outstanding statesmen are buried in:
a) Trafalgar Square;
b) Westminster abbey;
c) The Tower of London.
7) The Houses of Parliament is the seat of:
b) The British Parliament;
c) The Labour Party.
8) The West End is the …… part of London:
a) richest and most beautiful;
b) the poorest;
9) The tall Nelson’s Column stands in the …. of the square:
a) right-hand part;
b) left-hand part;
10.The East End is densely populated by:
b) rich people;
c) working class families.
Find the wrong statements and correct them.
1) London is one of the largest cities in the world.
2) London is divided into 7 parts.
3) The heart of London is the City its financial and commercial centre.
4) The Tower of London was founded by Julius Ceasar.
5) The Tower of London was used as a museum.
6) Westminster is the historic, the business part of London.
7) The West End is the richest and most beautiful part of London.
8) Trafalgar Square was named in memory of Admiral Nelson’s defeat in the battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
9) The British museum is the biggest museum in London.
10)There are a lot of factories, workshops, theatres and clubs in the East End.
Translate from Russian into English.
1) Лондон – это политический, экономический и торговый центр Великобритании.
2) Лондон – один из старейших городов мира.
3) Лондон делится на 4 части – Сити, Ист Энд, Вест Энд, Вестминстер.
4) В Сити находится много старинных зданий, Собор Святого Павла среди них.
5) Лондонский Тауэр был основан Юлием Цезарем и перестроен Вильямом Завоевателем.
6) Все английские короли и королевы короновались в Вестминстерском Аббатстве.
7) Букингемский дворец – официальная резиденция королевы.
8) В Вест Энде находятся лучшие дома, магазины, рестораны.
9) В Ист Энде находятся фабрики, мастерские, доки.
10) Богатые люди живут в Вест Энде, а бедные – в Ист Энде.
Speak on the topic: “London”.
UNIT 7. HIGHER EDUCATION IN RUSSIA
Practice the pronunciation of the following words.
Society, knowledge, science, equal, opportunity, lyceum, gymnasium, qualification, interview, enterprise, score, experience, creatively, tuition, resource, deficiencies, survival, require.
State a part of speech of the following words.
Development, scholarship, comprehensive, successful, usually, practical, different, organization, comprise, constantly, survival, elementary.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-04-10; Просмотров: 82;